Monday, May 21, 2012

Lessons Learned

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

I have been so pumped to write this post. I have come so far in this year, and I am thankful for every trial, bump in the road and joyful moment experienced. I could not have done it without our Lord, my amazing family and friends. I figured the best way to sum everything up is in a list. Mostly because I love lists. Haha


Life Lessons Learned :)
  1. My God is an AWESOME God!
I feel like I have should have always known this. It wasn't until that I was pushed into the middle of the storm that I got to experience it fully. I think that it how it happens to a lot of us. I always knew Christ, but it took some of the most important things in my life to be taken from me to KNOW Christ. Funny how that works. He proved to me that I can get through anything through Him. He is my shelter, stronghold, protector, and my Savior. Many of my other lessons are based on what I have learned through Him. He has changed my heart, and I am the most alive when I am submerged in His work.

    2.  Forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were

Anyone can hold a grudge, but it takes a person with character to forgive. When you forgive, you release yourself from a painful burden. Forgiveness doesn't mean what happened was OK, and it doesn't mean that person should still be welcome in your life. It just means you have made peace with the pain, and are ready to let it go.

I am generally a forgiving person. Some people think it is a weakness. I prefer to call it a strength, and a very humbling experience. Forgiveness sets you free from the chains that the person who hurt you, put you in. Forgiveness is hard though. Sometimes it feels like defeat, like you are giving in to that person. In reality, forgiveness is sweet. Forgiveness means you move on and that person is usually stuck with the guilt or shame of what they did. True forgiveness means not wanting them to feel that way. That is where I am now.

It has been a difficult journey, but I am thankful for all that has happen. I am the independent, strong-willed, young lady I am now because of it. I know my true friends, and most importantly my Father better than ever thanks to past events.

     3.  I don't play hard to get...I am hard to get

I am seriously questioning if boys ever change into men. This could be a whole post within itself due to my previous experiences. Here is some tips guys:

  • If you have a girlfriend, you should feel like a big fat loser when you hit on me. This is my ultimate pet peeve. In high school, I would have been all over it. I also was 16, and relationships didn't involve, pregnancy or marriage. The older you get, the more dumb you look when you do this. No, you aren't super cool when you call me while your girlfriend is asleep or at work or in another city. Then lie about it to her. No, I don't trust you when you say that you would never do this to me if we dated. And no, you don't impress me by talking trash about your girlfriend to me. Here is a hint: grow up, decide if you want to be with her. If you have done any of the above items, I am guessing the answer is no. Do everyone a favor and break up with her. You have no commitment to her, unless y'all are married or pregnant. It might hurt her now, but it will hurt her worse if you wait it out and somehow convince her that your scumbag self is "in love" with her. I believe people can change their ways, but they must want to change. The truth will come out, it always does. Just ask a few of my exes...Side note: If you are married, take some time to solve this issue you have. Marriage is a very serious commitment and is worth fighting for.
  • I am not a piece of meat, nor is any woman. If you want a respectable girl, treat her with respect. I know a lot of guys who want the ideal woman to bring home to momma, yet they aren't the ideal man to bring home to daddy. Y'all look for these girls in all the wrong places, because you most likely hang out in all the wrong places. Most parents don't expect a lot, they just expect respect. Here are a few hints: Remember guys chivalry is always the right way to go. Take the time to go to the door, don't honk like the girl is a dog, especially if her parents are around. A girl with high standards, will require that of the guy as well. I don't have impossible standards, but I respect myself. Therefore, I wouldn't waste my time with anyone who didn't respect me or themselves. Remember that ladies, you are the one who controls how you are treated. If your boyfriend is being an idiot, to be said nicely, don't stay with him. You will find someone who loves and respects you. Show yourself some self love! Don't ever let a man tell you that you aren't worth pursing. For God became man, died and rose again just to pursue you. You are worth pursing. You are beautiful. You are loved.
      4.  Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Phil 4:6-7  

I know this may sound crazy to those who don't believe in prayer, but I pray about everything. Head is hurting, I pray on it. Work out is getting a little tough, pray. It begins to rain really hard while I am driving, I pray. The most important part of prayer that I recently learned, is just thanking and praising God for who He is. I must admit, I am still terrible at praying at night. I am prone to falling asleep mid prayer. I have more conversations with God than anything. I have shouted at Him, pleaded and cried to Him. He knows our heart and thoughts, yet praying is the direct line we have to Him that is always open. You can do it anytime you need to talk. I like to pretend He is an old friend, who has been there through it all with me. This is an easy thing to do since He really has been. I know prayers don't always get answered the way we want them to. His plan and why He answers the way He does can be a mystery to us, which brings me to my final lesson...                                    

     5.  Faith in God includes faith in His timing

By far this is the hardest lesson I have learned. As you might have read in previous posts, I am a planner. When I plan, I generally have a high success rate. All which I have accredited to myself in the past. In hindsight, I see that everything is in His grand plan. If my plan would have gone accordingly, I would not be sitting here as the person I am today. Every struggle has made me stronger, every wrong path has led to something God has planned for me. There is a reason I was blessed with a job across the street from my church. A reason that He lead my heart to helping out with the youth there. A reason that every young person, and adult within that group is in my life. A reason my childhood friend Kelly came up with the great idea to start a Monday night Bible study for girls who might not get the teaching elsewhere. A reason that I was praying and questioning my calling, just to hear a sermon confirming it. There is nothing more amazing and exhilarating than the path God has planned for me...

I need a truth that lives, moves, and breathes
To sweep me off my feet
It ought to be
More like falling in love
Than something to believe in
More like losing my heart
Than giving my allegiance
Caught up, called out
Come take a look at me nowIts like I'm falling, oh
Its like I'm falling in love...with Christ :)

No comments:

Post a Comment