Tuesday, September 27, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Find out what it means to me.

Respect. An action today that has somehow been forgotten about in the mix of everything else going on.

While respect in general is important, there is one type of respect that I feel so many girls and women forget. Self-respect.

What is self-respect? Let’s go with the dictionary…
Self-respect –n. Due respect for oneself, one's character, and one's conduct.

The meaning of self-respect means so much more than just this definition. It means to respect the body and mind God gave you. Respect it in your daily activities and in your thoughts. Unfortunately, so many young girls and women today do not know how to respect themselves. They find it easier said than done. They give themselves up to a guy in order to receive “love” in return. They bare their body to get attention. They don’t realize what smart and intelligent women they can be.

What I hope is that I can help other young girls and women realize their self-respect before they head too far down that path. Young girls in high school and middle school have such few positive role models to look up to. They see Snooki and think they must “smush” in order to have a guy love you. Many TV shows make it appear normal and right to have a new sexual partner every night. I honestly feel that if these women respected themselves and their bodies, their actions would reflect this. Then, there are so many real life examples that I see just among people in my life. I just want to shake these women and tell them that sleeping with a guy won’t make him love you. If you do not love and respect yourself, he won’t either.

I am not trying to sound “high and mighty”. I have been at fault with lack of self-respect. I have done things just to get the acceptance of someone, even if it wasn’t in the best interest for me. I am not perfect, I am a sinner. I am not writing this to let everyone know I have never lost my self-respect, because I have. More importantly, I realize now what having self-respect means. I no longer feel the need to impress people to feel wanted. I know I am loved by the one who is most important, God. He has been the one to help me on this journey of realizing what His plans are for my life here. I no longer will settle for less than what He has planned for me. I know better now what I need out of every relationship I have. Whether it is family, friends or men.

Speaking on terms of men and relationships with them. I feel so blessed to have Him show me what I deserve. As I said, I will no longer settle like I have done in my past. I hope and pray that one day He will bless me with a man who is not afraid to rely on God when life is great or when times get tough. Someone who can be a partner with me on this journey. For now though, this quote sums up where my heart is at…


“A woman’s heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her” – Max Lucado


Isn’t that such a beautiful saying? So friends and family, please don’t forget to respect yourself. It may be hard to break this habit, but rely on Him. I promise if you do, you will wake up one day feeling full. You will no longer need that guy, alcohol or drug to fulfill you. He will fulfill you, and that will always be enough for me.

Love y’all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment